The Raspberry Pi Home Server series is now on Pluralsight

I’ve been working on this for the last couple of months, and I’m excited to announce that I’ve turned this series into a course for Pluralsight. The course is available at:

For those that don’t know already, Pluralsight is a subscription-based online training site. Don’t worry, I’m not going to take the blog posts away. I would never do that to you. Sometimes you just want to SEE something being done instead of just reading about it, though. You can follow along with the bouncing ball, and build your own server along with me.

The course is divided up in much the same way as these blog posts, with each module adding on one more piece of the puzzle, although the order is a little different, and some items (like Transmission) weren’t included.

If you have a Pluralsight subscription, please consider watching the course. If it does well, I might be able to do more of them.

This entry was posted in Computers and Internet. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Raspberry Pi Home Server series is now on Pluralsight

1. Jason (Grow My Brand) says:

Well done Mell!!!

Wish your course lots of success and hope it reaches a lot more people!

Jason

2. Alexey says:

Hi Mel,

Sorry I couldn’t leave comment in the proper area on pluralsight.com because it asked me to signup to services which I don’t use.

Thank you very much for this course. After watching your videos I ordered Pi for myself and going to build home server when it’ll be delivered.

I have a question about one video.

Chapter “BitTorrent Sync: Your Own Private Cloud” video number 5 “Installing Additional Clients”
    The duration of this video has to be 4:32 but when I click on it it shows only 6 seconds

Does it have to be like this ? Is it a bug? or something wrong with my browser ? (Firefox 40.0.3)

Alexey

3. Brian Froeber says:

Mel, If I want to ONLY run the Pi as a VPN what would you eliminate and keep as far as features go?? Im new to Linux and Pis so bear with me!!

• Mel Grubb says:

At a minimum, I would include Webmin as a means of checking in on the server, and maybe Samba for moving files to and from the server, although you could do that with a flash drive for that matter. Almost everything else can go.

• Brian Froeber says:

So Webmin, Samba, OpenVPN, and since I have a dynamic IP with my ISP, some form of IP checking service?

4. Cal says:

Mel very nice tutorial. My Pi is mostly used as media server (OSMC). I have quite a few drives and NAS on my network. Now I am thinking of dedicating one 6TB USB to be hocked to Pi and used to store mostly audio and video files. I am on Windows network and thanks to your tutorials I think I know how to do it. The question I have is how fast I can copy video files to that drive if formatted on Ext4, can I see it on network and share files from it apart from serving media center (Kodi)?

• Mel Grubb says:

It really does depend on how much the Pi is doing at the same time. File sharing is generally fast enough to stream media without a problem, but as for moving massive amounts of files around, it will depend on what else is happening at the time.

5. Jake says:

New blog post idea: What is the best method to upgrading to the most recent RPI? Obviously we want to leave our data and everything unchanged, except for the new RPI. Simple as backing up the SD card, placing the backup on a new SD card (just in case), plug and play?